Bluray with menus on Linux - on Ubuntu
For the longest time it was impossible to play BluRay disks on Linux due to the lack of players that could do it. VLC has been the most capable video player on Linux and some time ago they managed it.
I run Ubuntu at home. I can easily install VLC but some parts were missing to get it working.
- Be root: sudo -i
- libaacs decodes Blurays: apt-get install libaacs0
- BluRays or at least VLC need Java 8: apt-get install openjdk-8-jre
- Ubuntu and VLC does not agree on the right directory name: cd /usr/lib/jvm/
- Link the right one: ln -s java-1.8.0-openjdk-amd64 java-8-openjdk
- This library implements BD-J menus apt-get install libbluray-bdj
Now insert a BluRay disk and play it: vlc bluray://
It should start up with menus. Use arrow keys to navigate and Enter to choose.